TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Back on the road again!
People Seeking Info

Subject Back on the road again!

Posted by DAYTONAZ on January 15, 2016 at 7:25 AM
  This message has been viewed 729 times.

Message If you scan down a few posts you'll see that I blew a head gasket. After working on the Z for about 2 weeks on and off I swapped back in the original 185k motor with new timing components, seals, freeze plugs, and knock sensor. I transferred everything else from the bad motor which gave me a good opportunity to inspect the turbos and everything else.
I needed to flush the original motor because I was the using the same turbos which had traces of the old water entrained oil in them. The original motor had 10 year old oil waiting in the galleries too so that needed to get flushed. Prior to starting her I also removed my Setrab oil cooler and drained and flushed it out. I used 4 qts of 5w-30 conventional oil and ran that through until she got to operating temp. The lifters that had sat for 10 years sounded off initially then started quieting down one by one. Once she was at operating temp I drained the oil pan and changed the filter. Then I filled her with fresh 20w-50 and she purred like a new engine. Every lifter quieted down and after setting the timing she was running great.

I had to burp the air out of the cooling system and that's when I found the radiator had developed a leak on an end tank. Must have happened during the overheat event. So a new radiator is on order, but in the meantime I was determined to get her back on the road. So I pulled the radiator and found the leak on an end tank to tube connection. Some cleaning, prepping, JB Weld, and a pressure test and it'll make it till the new one gets here.

I'd swear in court that the original used 185k motor is running better than the rebuilt ~60k motor that it replaced. It runs smoother, seems tighter, and has a different tone to the exhaust note. I'll pull the heads on t he blown motor next week and post the results with some pics. It should be interesting to see the cause and how bad the damage is.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.